Did you know that November is Diabetes Awareness Month? 387 million people around the world have diabetes, making it a serious international health issue, and it’s on the rise.
SO WHAT EXACTLY IS DIABETES?
There are two types of diabetes: type 1 and type 2.
In our body, insulin is a hormone which is necessary for turning sugars from carbohydrates into energy. Type 1 diabetes is when your body does not produce insulin, and is normally diagnosed in children and young adults. Type 2 is when your body does not use insulin properly, and is most common in people ages 40-59.
Type 2 is the most common form of the disease, while type 1 makes up only 5% of cases. The most important thing to know is that type 2 is preventable. Read on for easy healthy tips to help prevent the development of type 2!
1. Get inspired to be more active by treating yourself to a new workout outfit! Max has cute, trendy active wear that will make you excited to hit the gym to show off your new gear. If you don’t like the gym, go for a walk with friends! 30 minutes of exercise per day just 5 days a week can significantly help reduce your chances of developing type 2 diabetes.
2. De-stress to keep blood pressure low. You can lower your stress levels in a lot of ways, including taking a hot bath, listening to calming music, drinking relaxing herbal teas, and exercising! Changing into comfortable loungewear when you get home from work can also help you relax your body and your mind. Check out Max’s stylish sweatpants and loungewear to stay comfy and stress-free!
3. Stop smoking
1. Snack on veggies, fruits and nuts instead of candy, cookies, and greasy chips. Try this tasty Peanutty Dip snack idea from diabetes.org!
2. Eat grilled or baked lean meats or fish instead of fried, and try to avoid eating too much red meat. For dinner inspiration, check out this delicious and simple grilled tuna recipe!
3. Experiment with new, healthy desserts! If you have a sweet tooth and can’t bear the thought of skipping dessert, instead of choosing sugary cakes or ice cream try something with fruit! Fruit is naturally sweet, and much better for your health. How about this tasty peach-blackberry crisp with oatmeal-coconut topping? Yummy!
Blue is the color of the Diabetes Awareness Campaign, so head to Max and pick out a new blue outfit to help spread the word about diabetes! Max has many shades of blue outfits for men, women and children, including an awesome new organic cotton t-shirt line for men! So definitely wear blue on November 14th, which is Diabetes Awareness Day, and all month! When people ask why you’re wearing so much blue you can now share these tips with your friends and colleagues!
UAE fans join us on November 20 at Zabeel Park as we support the @BeatDiabetes Walk. Register TODAY! For more details visit www.beatdiabetes.me #BeatDiabetes #jointhewalk
If you’d like to learn more, check out idf.org!